Wednesday, July 13, 2011

HKL Diaries

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim..

One of the requirement in my 2nd year study of medicine is to perform nursing clinical training for 3 weeks (@150 hours) . We can either complete this in Czech or perform it in our hometown.  I chose to make it here in Malaysia since I need to come back early this summer to settle a few things.

So, I applied for my elective posting in HKL about 3 months before I came back in July.(It is actually not that complicated to apply elective posting at HKL. Just go to the website and you'll find the link for elective posting application. Just follow the instruction there). Alhamdulillah, my application was accepted and I am going to Paediatric department in HKL (as requested).

Finally, it was time for me to start the practical that will last for three weeks (11 July -29 July). On the first day, I went to the office first to set up the arrangement and followed a few procedure. The office located at the main building of HKL and luckily it was not that hard to find.

I went to the hospital every morning with my abah since his office is quite near to HKL. Alhamdulillah again.. can save the cost of travelling but I have to wake up as early as 5 am every day ^^.


Just one interesting thing on the first day, while waiting at the 'waiting area' at the A&E department before I headed of to the office; I noticed a foreigner sit in front of me. He was waiting for someone and slept on the chair. Then, when he woke up, a pak cik went on to greet him. Here was the dialogues goes:

Pakcik(P): Hi, how are you? What do you do here so early in the morning?
Foreigner(F): I'm waiting for my friend. 
P: Ouh.. where are you from?
F: I am from Czech Republic, Europe.
... and the chatting goes on.
I just smile. What a small world!!:)


At first, I thought I will do the practical alone. But when I arrived at the office, I saw many other students whom are actually were about to start their practical as well. But most of them are already in their 4th and 5th year of studies. 

We were instructed to gather in a meeting room (with the round table) and wait for the Doctor who is in charge in the arrangement of student elective posting in HKL to give some briefing. Dr. Ding told us to introduce our place of study since everyone comes from different places; Russia, Czech, Dublin, Aberdeen. They are about 15 students all together in the meeting room. 

Quoted from Dr. Ding, she said, I always learn Geography here. :) Students nowadays comes from different places. So, this is your chance to learn from others. And, my message to you, be open minded to see what's here for you.  ASK if you do not know. No one is here is paid to teach you. So, grab the opportunity to LEARN as much as you can.
Anyhow, the session with Dr. Ding was full of messages and gives an overview about career as a doctor in Malaysia. 

Next, together with me who will also doing practical in Paediatric department are another 2 students, currently studying in Russia. They were in second year as well and thus our level of knowledge are kind of the same. At least I have someone to talk to and work with along the practical... Alhamdulillah.


On the first day, only at about 11am we went to the paediatric department after settling at the office. Me and another friend were assigned to KK6 ward. At first, we met with the head nurse of the ward and she gave us a short briefing about the ward background. 


After that, we were free to go anywhere around the ward. It should be our own initiative to find any works in the ward since no one will supervise us. We are free to go for break,lunch and can go back at any time (the nurse however suggest us to stay up to 5pm). Usually I stay until around 2pm. We were given this student pas that allowed us to move around the hospital.

All students who do their elective posting were required to wear the white coat. In the ward, you'll see most of the people are with the white coat and they are consultants, MO, HO, and students like us. And everyone is addressed as doctor. :)
So, to be called as doctor in the first place was a bit weird since I am only in my 2nd year.


Plus, being in this ward for kids, the kids will always address you as doctor due to the white coat that you wear. =) And sometimes I feel like being in the nursery since there is too many kids, with all the babies crying and child running.


Most of the case reported in KK6 ward usually related with infectious diseases, skin diseases, and general cases. And seeing all the patients are among kids of younger age reflect to me that how grateful one should be. Each kid are look after by their own mother/father. Sometimes kids of upper age are accompanied by their big sister or brother. 


Up to the third day, I've seen variety of cases everyday. I am quite exhausted during the day. Not because of  much of work doing, but because I have to stand most of the time. Wonder how it will be when I have to do my houseman later.


On the ward today, me and my friend manage to follow the ward round by the consultant and HOs. We listened on how HOs need to present the cases to the consultant, the follow up questions and many more. If before this, I always heard that HO being scolded most of the time. But I do not see such thing yet so far. But I think the consultant are trying to educate the HOs well enough, and scolding in a good manner may be one of the way.


During the session, I realised that, although if you've already become a HO, it doesn't mean that you know everything. Experience and willingness is all what it takes to be more competent in this medical field. 


I am impressed by the consultants that I made this morning. They are very low profile and treat everyone well. Even manage to make joke and make the learning relax and enjoyable. mm.. maybe, that is what I felt. I'm not sure if the feeling maybe different in a place of a house-officer.


There is too much to write I think. Hope to write more next time, with more and more stories. 


I'm thinking of how my days will be in the future. How can I cope with the busyness to perform dhuha in the morning. How to attend usrah weekly. Do I have time to check emails. Time with families. and time to write something like this. 
also, how to create the 'environment' in the hospital...
too much of work yet, that's what a daie have to do right.. 

lets make dua', may Allah make it easy for everyone insyaAllah


-appreciating things around


Keep on holding tight to HIM

No comments: