Friday, July 22, 2011

HKL Diaries 3

Yeap.. still about the days in hospital.
Just a short one this time.
Alhamdulillah finished my second week of practicle in HKL.
Just another 2 days next week before I end.


So, in the second week I learnt a lot of things too. 
Often, I'll be in the 'Treatment Room' to watch the procedure performed by doctors and nurses. It's great to have the privilege to enter this room since you cannot simply enter the room. Even parents are restricted to be in that room while their child are being examined due to some reasons.


Among procedures perform in the treatment room are such as taking blood sample and set line for infusion. What is more challenging is that doctors have to perform this on babies or small kids who have a very delicate vein and the child cannot stay still. Crying is just part of the procedure. Some times it can take up to hours just to get blood sample. Just pity those children since they have to be pricked by the needle many and many times just to get it right.


One of the procedure that I manage to see last time is bone marrow aspiration (BMA). 
It was something like this
It was performed on a 2 months old, Malay boy.Imagine how small he is. It took about 5 to 6 times before the doctor can aspirate the blood. The baby of course was crying until he do not have enough energy to cry anymore. I can only hear his tiny little voice that describe the pain. The procedure is  performed in a sterile condition. It looks like a small operation though. This last for about an hour. 


On this second week also, I meet with another case of neglected child. This time was a three year old indian girl. She was admitted with small wounds all over her body. Her body showed a sign of malnutrion. When touching her shoulder I can only feel her scapula. No fat at all. Just bone underlying the skin. She was really thin. She had problems with her right leg; with some hip fracture a few months ago. Therefore she can't walk. She was very quiet and talk very softly. 
But there is one time when I play with her, that she laugh with joy. Never see her like that before. :) She was very comel indeed. 


After all, every day was very tiring for me that made me quite slow in doing my other works. huhu... This is just a few things that I had to do before facing the real job in the future. Be STRONG please <talking to myself>










Keep on holding tight to HIM

No comments: