Monday, June 22, 2009

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Assalamualaikum and Greetings to everyone...

Last time I used to spend my time answering questions on Yahoo Answer (YA). Through YA, I discover many things that people wanted to know and got to realize how far I know about it. One of the question that I came across is this:

Does it sound like i could have OCD?

I've been thinking that i have OCD for about two years now.
I go through cleaning fits. EVERYTHING has to be organized. If something is not clean/organized in my possesion i get extremely stressed out.

I also find myself doing strange things, like when i walk down the stairs i can not skip a step, if i do i must go back and touch the one i missed. If i hit one side of my body i must hit the other in the same spot...things like this. This kind of thing doesn't occur everytime, but many times it has.


Thanks for your input!

Katrina<3>


The question seems interesting since I never heard about such disease before this. So, I search through to find out what is OCD. Then, I found this video on YouTube:


This girl has serious OCD.

I didn't know that it can come to such extend where one become so anti towards germ and really care about hygiene. From my reading, OCD is kind of chronic mental disorder most commonly characterized by intrusive, repetitive thoughts resulting in compulsive behaviors and mental acts that the person feels driven to perform.

This another video may help you get a better picture about OCD.



This case may not be common in Malaysia. But, in the United States, 1 in 50 adults have OCD, and twice that many have had it at some point in their lives.

Symptoms of OCD

OCD involves having both obsessions and compulsions. A person with OCD may sometimes have one or the other.

Common obsessions are:
1. Contamination fears of germs, dirt, etc.
2. Imagining having harmed oneself or others, imagining losing control or having aggressive urges
3. Intrusive sexual thoughts or urges, excessive religious or moral doubt
4. Forbidden thoughts, a need to have things "just so," and a need to tell, ask, or confess.

Common compulsions are: washing, repeating, checking, touching, and counting.

Do you ever feel like having OCD before?

In OCD, the brain gets stuck on a particular thought or urge and just can't let go.It is a medical brain disorder that causes problems in information processing. Before the arrival of modern medications and cognitive behavior therapy, OCD was generally thought to be untreatable. Most people with OCD continued to suffer, despite years of ineffective psychotherapy. Today, luckily, treatment can help most people with OCD.

[source]

If somehow in the future we happen to meet this kind of people, we should not laugh at them. Instead, give them support and advice so that they know that people are care about them.

There must be reasons behind every creations of God.
"and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you."[Al-Baqarah:216]

No comments: