Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Here and there

Last week, I attended a pre-departure program organized by a society known as IMAM (I just heard of this) . And I just realised that this is my fourth time attending such camp. Why am I attending so much of such camp? I wonder too. Well, maybe because living in the capital of the city ease me to go here and there. Overall, I have to say that all the pre-departure program that I went to were beneficial and different from each others. So, if you have the chance to go to any pre-departure program, do not miss it.

Here I want to share about the pre-departures program that I had joined and things that I learnt.

1. Program Semai Mesra '09
Organizer: Ikatan Muslimin Malaysia (ISMA)
Date: 9 - 11 January 2009
Venue: Bukit Cahaya Seri Alam Shah Alam, Selangor
Website: http://www.semaimesra.wordpress.com/

Ok. This was my first camp. At this time I still didnt know that such camp is called a pre-departure program. I just started my Sem 4 at KMB while attending the program.

So, basically, the program is meant for Australia and New Zealand bounded student. Last time I am a New Zealand bounded. That's why I joined the program. Since this was my first time attending the program, I heard a lot of new things about life in oversea.

In short:

>Many participants attending the program.

>I met my schoolmate too. (She's pursuing medic in Newcastle, OZ).

>During the Fiqh of traveller session, I first time heard about KHUF (useful to ease you when taking ablution)

>Heard many stories from the seniors. One of the story that I still remember was by a sister who is studying in Australia: Kakak ni dan beberapa orang rakan telah pergi ke sebuah pantai yang famous dan lawa di OZ. Kemudian mereka berdiri di tepi pantai itu sambil ombak-ombak kecil membasahi kaki mereka. Mereka baca ma'thurat sambil berpegangan tangan. Kemudian datang ombak besar. Mereka teruskan membaca ma'thurat. Then, ombak itu sujud di depan mereka dan mereka tidak dibasahi air. Ombak itu sebenarnya sujud pada kalimah-kalimah Allah. Subhanallah. Saya kagum sungguh bila dengar cerita ini.

>They are lot more nice stories.

Overall, I enjoy the program but still do not have the feel since I do not know my future university yet at that time. (Other participants who joined the program fly in February)

2. Fly High Aussie-Newzie 2009
Organizer: INTELEK and ILUVISLAM(ILI)
Date: 16 - 18 January 2009
Venue: Institut Latihan Islam Malaysia (ILIM)
Website: http://www.flyhighoznz2009.wordpress.com/



Another camp for OZNZ bounded. The best thing about this program is the venue. A room is shared by 2 people. And the room was air-conditioned. =D Very comfortable. The speakers are great too. I got the chance to meet Ustaz Hazrizal (He owned this blog). His talk was really cool and I hardly fallen asleep (like I used to when hearing any talk). The lecture hall was good too. It has really nice sound system that I am able to record the talk from the speakers by my Nokia 5200 phone. Really cool.

In short:

>Again, heard about Khuf during the Fiqh of traveller session. Khuf can last for 3 days for travellers and only one day for non travellers.

>How to solat in Flight?

>Just know that Ustaz Haz lived in Ireland before. So, he kind of have lots of story to share about life in oversea.

>During the session with seniors, i joined the NZ group. The seniors told about how nice NZ was. At that time, I felt so wanted to go to NZ. Their stories really inspire me. They told us that in NZ, there are not much crime. Sometimes, a story about a death of a dog become a headline for a week (This is funny =D).

>Many shops there close at 5 pm everyday.

>Make new friends. Aqeelah and Lisa.

>heard about how winter is so cold that you don't even dare to touch the water. hmm...

>I just know that during some seasons (not sure what season) , the gap between solah time is too short. How do you know that it is already solah time?

>Lots more informational things...

Overall, this program was different from the one that I had attended earlier. So, what I want to say here, although they were the same program, the content was different and I got to learnt different things. So, it is worth it joining both program rather than just one.

3. Banting Extended Experience 09 (BEE 09)
Organizer: Ex-Kmbians
Date: 31 July - 2 August 2009
Venue: Kolej Keris Mas, UKM Bangi
Website: http://www.bee09.com/index



This is the first time BEE was held. So, I understand if there's any flaws here and there. Not to say that the program is not good but since it was its first time, I can say that the program is not that bad and can improve a lot more. One thing for sure, some of the activities were different from the first two that I had attended. It was FUN indeed.

For example, there are lot more practicals, informative explorace and lots of debate. There is also short drama by the participants where we have to act on the situation given. After all, its nice to hear from the seniors about their life and how some of them are now in their fourth year and coping well there.

However, sad to say that not many students join BEE. I heard that there are about hundreds who registered but about less than 30 who able to make it. The numbers of facis are almost the same with the number of participants. You can view the pictures at the website. We were divided into groups. They are 6 groups. My groups consist of 5 people (only) and we have 3 facis. =D

This program is actually made for any bound but it focused more on those who are going to UK and IRELAND since most of them will fly in September. All the facis also are from UK and Eire. I'm going to Czech but heard many stories about UK and Eire ... hmm.. It'll be easier for me to travel in the future then. Surrounding by people who are going to UK and Eire make me feel awkward sometimes. But, I don't mind... After the program, somehow I wish I could study in UK or Ireland.

So, in short, things I got from the programme:

>Got and IN[SIGHT] about UK and Ireland

>UK Visa application is really complicated whereas for Ireland, Visa is not needed. But the student need to have GARDA card (hope I got it right)

>Seniors suggest us to go travel while we are in our sfirst and second year. The rest of the year will be busy

>A sister told me that the money from sponsor is enough for you to survive. No need to work. Just know how to manage your finance well.

>Halal Food. In UK and Ireland there are plenty of Halal food. (Not in Czech I guess) When buying foods, just make sure that the ingredients are free from alcohol. (Alchohol has many names. Just take note) . Vegetarian food is always halal unless if it contains alcohol.

>First time heard the word 'whey powder'. This is not halal

>Solat. You can solat just about everywhere as long as the place is clean. My group did a presentation on this. You can perform prayer in the fitting room(if you are in the shopping complex), car park, chapel, airport, in the flight and etc. Just make sure you always bring a compass with you. Do you know how to read the compass? Better learn..

>Get to know what is PUISI-Ireland and FUIYO-UK. Those are winter camp and organized in December. Everyone is invited. Can I go?

>Know a bit about IMAM. There are Students Chapter (SC) and Doctors Chapter (DC)

>One of the faci in my group is studying in Manchester Uni. She's going into third year. She told about PBL where there is only 4 to 5 lectures a week. And the test is Multiple Choice Question. The uni use Normal Distribution to give the result.

>One of the speaker is Akh Fakrul Razi. He was a KMBian too last time. (Batch 1993 I guess). He is married now and have children already. Her wife is a doctor and she was paired with her husband for the forum session. Her wife is not KMB anyway. But I have to say that I really enjoy the forum and heard many nice (and bad) story from an experienced doctor.

>Married but still studying? How? =D

>A friend give me this book. Thanks Madi...



Overall, I believe BEE can improved a lot more and it is really a beneficial to those who participate. Thinking of becoming one of the faci next year. Hmm..


4. IMAM Pre-Departure 2009
Organizer: IMAM UK RIRE Student Chapter
Date: 7 - 8 August 2009
Venue: Bukit Cahaya Seri Alam Shah Alam, Selangor
Website: no website but this is the organizer's Yahoo Group [klik]



OK. This pre dept is different from the rest since it focused on medic only. Do you know what is IMAM? It stands for Islamic Medical Association Malaysia. We were briefed about IMAM history (but I do not remember much). Maybe you can read more here. But I know that there are IMAM Malaysia, IMAM Russia, IMAM India and so forth. IMAM Czech Republic just started in 2007 (I read this somewhere)

I know that this pre dept is focusing on UK and Ireland(again) but I still attracted to go since I wanna here the talk by the speakers. They are great speakers. And this ad attracted me too.




























In short:

> Not so many participants. Only 2 boys attended. The rest are girls (over all <20)>> This pre dept got so many practical activities: Solah in the garden (we pray on the tar. Nice experience), got the chance to learn OSCE (First time heard about this. I learnt about how to take blood pressure, stethoscope, history taking, first aid and pulses. )

> Inspired by the talk from Prof Amal and prof Latif. I cant recall prof Amal profile but Prof Latif is one of the Dean at CUCMS. One thing for sure, they are great doctors.

> Again I heard about how winter is so cold. Often heard that winter can be so cold that you can become demotivated somehow. Can winter affected me?

> Talk from Prof Latif: He said medicine is tough. You got to be strong. Failure can make you feel down but do not give up.

>Chat with the sisters: they jokingly said that pre-dept MARA (which will be held this coming 19 aug) is boring and some of them skip out. Hmm.. boring?

>Glad that I joined this!

Ok. I guess that's all for now about my view on Pre-departure briefing that I have attended. I like all of them in any way and hope all these can help me in the future InsyaAllah.


No comments: